Istanbul Mehmet 22" Tony Williams Tribute Ride
Brand: istanbul Mehmet
- Hand crafted in Istanbul Turkey
- The most celebrated Ride cymbal in history? Undoubtedly. Long regarded as the epitome of the ideal old Turkish cymbal Ride sound.
- Used by Tony on all the Quintet recordings up to 'Sorcerer', after which it was forced in to retirement due to increasing fragility, this magnificent cymbal now bears the scars of the most intense Ride cymbal playing in history.
- Drilled out repeatedly in several places over the years, to halt the spread of cracks, with a piece flung off at the edge under his furious assault, Tony, still refused to surrender his prize. Despite and 'because of', these historic characteristics, this cymbal retains its utterly remarkable sound and all the characteristics for which it became so famous.
- Its unique combination of dry, clean stick sound, with complex, dark, orchestral overtones, presented the greatest challenge to the Istanbul Mehmet artisans, and they met it.
Details: "There ain’t but one Tony Williams when it comes to playing the drums. There was nobody like him before or since.’’ Miles Davis"
Created as faithful replicas of the now iconic cymbals made famous by Tony Williams on the recordings of the 60s era Miles Davis Quintet.
When Miles Davis invited the 17-year-old Tony Williams to join his new Quintet, jazz drumming would never be the same. Tony set a new standard with his playing and cymbals. The Istanbul Mehmet Company was granted exclusive access to the very same cymbals, made in Istanbul in the late 50s, which were used by Tony Williams on the Miles Davis Quintet's historic recordings.
Hand-carried to Istanbul by Colleen Williams, Tony's wife, great attention to detail was paid during their creation, with every aspect of the cymbals being scrupulously measured, weighed, gauged and factored to ensure that the new, handmade cymbals be as close in sound as possible to the originals. Istanbul Mehmet drew from their rich archives the original and now antique cup dies, the actual dies used to form the bells on the originals, and used them in order to perfectly recreate the bell shapes on the tribute models.
The set consists of a 22" ride with legendary dry, clean stick articulation and orchestral, dark overtones. The 14" hi-hats produce a gorgeous "chick" sound and sublime, signature stick articulation. An 18" crash delivers warm, fast attack and features a signature crack that acts as a built-in "attenuator" to accelerate decay.