Istanbul Mehmet 21-inch Gong
Brand: Istanbul Mehmet
- Hand crafted in Istanbul, Turkey
- The Istanbul Mehmet Gongs are percussion instruments which are capable of producing two distinct types of sounds.
- A flat surface gong is capable of delivering a crash sound whilst rounded gongs can produce more refined, tuned notes.
- Constructed in Istanbul, Turkey using the legendary Turkish cymbal making processes, this gong has been crafted to perfection.
- Available in 14",15",16",17",18",19",20",21",22",23",24-inch
Details: ABOUT ISTANBUL MEHMET CYMBALS - Mehmet Tamdeger learned his art from Mikhail Zilcan, the grandson of Kerope Zilcan, after whom the Zilcan K series is named. In the 1950s, he worked in the K. Zilcan factory in Istanbul. At the age of nine Mehmet Tamdeğer started to work for Mikhail Zilcan. Mikhail Zilcan and Kirkor Küçükyan taught him every aspect of this ancient Turkish art, based on a history that stems back to the early 17th century. The Istanbul brand name was adopted by a cymbal works established by two cymbal smiths, Mehmet Tamdeger and Agop Tomurcuk. At that time, they had over three decades of cymbal making experience. Mehmet and Agop named their company after the city that has been home to the epitome of high quality cymbals for many, many years: Istanbul. These cymbals were first exported to the U.S. in 1984, first under the name "Zildjiler", and soon afterwards as "Istanbul". Both craftsmen signed each cymbal and many of these cymbals are now collectors' items. After Agop Tomurcuk's unexpected death in July 1996, Mehmet decided to continue the production of cymbals under his own name, İstanbul Mehmet. A lot has changed since then, but his belief in the richness and the character of a handmade cymbal will always remain. Machines don't have ears. That's why we continue to make our cymbals according to the ancient tradition - with an open eye towards the music that's being made now, and in the future.